NVDA 2020.1 was released early this month. Non Visual Desktop Access NVDA is a free and open source screen reading software that enables blind and visually impaired users to independently use the computer. NVDA is a Windows based screen reading software. With the NVDA 2020.1 release, several improvements and bug fixes has been updated.
NV Access recommends to update to the latest version for optimal performance. NV Access being a not for profit that is helping those with blindness and visual impairment for an independent living, any donations will be highly appreciated.
WHAT’S NEW IN NVDA 2020.1?
- The key update include reading of math content in Microsoft word with math player/ math type. Here are few more new features, changes and bug fixes in NVDA 2020.1.
- The currently selected item in listboxes is again presented in browse mode in Chrome, similar to NVDA 2019.1. (New feature)
- Now the right mouse clicks on touch devices can be performed by doing a one finger tap and hold. (New)
- NVDA will prevent the system from locking or going to sleep when in say all. (Change)
- Support for out-of-process iframes in Mozilla Firefox (Change).
- In browse mode, NVDA now reports “not checked” for unchecked check boxes where it sometimes didn’t previously. (Bug fix).
- ARIA switch controls no longer report confusing information such as “not pressed checked” or “pressed checked”. (Bug fix).
- NVDA will again announce text being unselected in browse mode if pressing an arrow key while text is selected. (Bug fix).
- Arrowing out and away from lists and tables in sayAll with skim reading enabled no longer continuously announces exiting the list or table. (Bug fix)
Here are the complete list of updates in NVDA 2020.1.
DOWNLOAD OR UPDATE TO NVDA 2020.1
Visit the NVDA download page for NVDA 2020.1. If already have an older version update to the latest version.
UPDATING TO NVDA 2020.1
- Press NVDA + n to open NVDA settings.
- Navigate to Help by pressing down arrow until you hear Help.
- Press right arrow to move into the help menu.
- Press down arrow until you hear Check for updates.
- Press enter Check for updates and follow the onscreen instructions.
Older versions of NVDA
Below are the links for What’s new in the previous releases of NVDA screen reader.