NVDA the free Windows screen reader by NVAccess released the next version for 2019 i.e. NVDA 2019.2. The release includes few new features, bug fixes and developer enhancements.
What’s new in NVDA 2019.2?
The highlights of the release include an experimental setting in the Advanced panel to stop browse mode from automatically moving focus, a rate boost option for the Windows OneCore synthesizer to achieve very fast rates and auto detection of Freedom Scientific braille displays. The other key updates include
- You can now disable browse mode by default by disabling the new “Enable browse mode on page load” option in NVDA’s browse mode settings.
- Added an experimental option to the Advanced Settings panel that allows you to stop the system focus from following the browse mode cursor (Automatically set system focus to focusable elements).
- Synthesizer volume is now increased and decreased by 5 instead of 10 when using the settings ring.
- The hotkey for the filter field in the elements list in browse mode has changed to alt+y.
- NVDA will now report the word ‘selected’ after reporting the text a user has just selected.
- NVDA no longer crashes when an add-on directory is empty.
A complete list of improvements, changes and bug fixes are available at What’s new in NVDA.
Download or update to NVDA 2019.2
Visit the NVDA download page for NVDA 2019.2. If already have an older version update to the latest version.
updating to NVDA 2019.2
- Press NVDA + n to open NVDA settings.
- Navigate to Help by pressing down arrow until you hear Help.
- Press right arrow to move into the help menu.
- Press down arrow until you hear Check for updates.
- Press enter Check for updates and follow the onscreen instructions.
NVDA is an open source and free screen reading solution for Windows operating system. Support the cause by donating to the NVDA project.