Empowering persons with disabilities and ensuring inclusiveness and equality
Is the theme for IDPD-2018.
The annual observance of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly resolution 47/3 in 1992. It aims to promote the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities in all spheres of society and development, and to increase awareness of on the situation of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life. Further, India signed the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) and subsequently ratified the same on 1st October, 2007. The Convention came into effect on 3rd May 2008. Being a signatory to the Convention, India has an international obligation to comply with the provisions of the Convention.
What can we do?
Organizations such as United Nations and various countries in the world are putting lot of efforts in safeguarding the rights and respect of persons with disabilities. These efforts are not sufficient to see an inclusive society. Each one of us have shared responsibility in ensuring that we treat every person equally no matter what their abilities or disabilities are. We tried to contribute in the little way we could.
On this International Day Of Persons With Disabilities IDPD-2018, let us
- Understand problems of persons with disabilities and how can we help overcome them.
- Pledge to add captions for the pictures we share on Facebook, Twitter and Whatsapp.
- Quickly check the accessibility problems on websites and inform the developers.
- Spend an hour with your computer without using a mouse doing the daily tasks.
On behalf of Maxability we are committed to increase the awareness on digital equality and disability. Check your knowledge on disability with this quick quiz, sensitization on disability and accessibility.
We will be releasing a sensitization training module on this International Day Of Persons With Disabilities (IDPD-2018) and will provide one year free subscription. Reach-out to us if you wish to get this free subscription from the contact page. Select “Training needs” from the enquiry type.
Let us all together make this world a better place to live. Share your experiences in the comments section below, they help many others to get inspired.
- Accessibility problems on social media
- Adding captions for pictures on twitter
- Adding alternate text for pictures on Facebook
- Adding captions for Youtube videos
- 10 accessibility checks in 10 minutes
- sensitization on disability and accessibility
For International Day Of Persons With Disabilities IDPD-2018,
Maxability – Towards an Inclusive Web.