It is almost at the end of year 2016. It is the time to look at the legal updates. The web accessibility suits that are filed in the courts, the settlements that are agreed without law suits and new laws that came into force.
DIRECTIVE (EU) 2016/2102 of the European Parliament and of the Council is the major update in the world. India just passed Right to persons with disabilities bill(PDF) in Rajya Sabha on 14th December and was tabled in Lok Sabha yesterday. The historic day can be today i.e. December 16, 2016.
The other major update on the legal front is the launch of the book “STRUCTURED NEGOTIATION: A WINNING ALTERNATIVE TO LAWSUITS” by LAINEY FEINGOLD. LAINEY FEINGOLD is instrumental in convincing many large organizations towards an agreement to make accessible products without legal suits. The book can be purchased from the American Bar Association. Use coupon code LFLEGAL10 to receive 10% off the purchase price.
Below are few legal suits and settlements in 2016
Note that all the below links target to external websites.
- Gray Hound lines settlement
- US Department of Health and Human Services
- Bank Of America Mortgage (structured Negotiation)
- REYAZUDDIN, Vs MONTGOMERY COUNTY, MARYLAND
- Netflix audio description settlement
- DENNY’S DIGITAL ACCESSIBILITY SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT
- Sweetgreen’s web accessibility lawsuit
- Houston METRO digital accessibility settlement
- Maryland voting case
- Colorado Bag & Baggage Found in Violation of ADA and Unruh Act
- Closed captions for Harvard and MIT
- San Mateo accessible voting case
- Ohio judge’s accessible voting decision
- New York voting rights press release
- settlement agreement between student Aleeha Dudley and Miami University
- DOE Settlements in 7 States and 1 Territory for website accessibility
- Siskiyou Joint Community College settlement
- E*trade settlement agreement
- Credit Union web accessibility settlement